Pin It

April 13, 2012

A Star is Born......Pallet Coffee Table


Prop Your feet up....... Relax!




That is what my pallet coffee table in my outdoor space says to me everyday. It is an invitation to kick-back and relax.

You may think talking coffee tables, how bizarre.

Who loves FREE furniture?  Well that is what I got when Hubby and I created this oh so sweet coffee table from a wood pallet.










Daily, I drive past a set of condos and it seems like more often than not they are throwing out peoples unwanted furniture. Who knows, do people just abandon their unwanted items when they move out?

I am always on the look out for a treasure and low and behold one day I saw these.



They were legs to a big poster bed.  You should have seen me......It was dark, I pulled into the parking lot looking around to see if anyone was watching....like really! did it matter, this was just someones trash, it's not like I'm stealing anything......

............this may have been someones trash but I knew I would one day find a use for them in a project.

Now keep in mind the pallet coffee table had not yet been conceived and I had no clue what I was going to do with these huge poster bed legs.

                   ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I had been mulling over creating an outdoor room on my raised deck....... while contemplating what to put their I knew I wanted a coffee table.

That is when it I thought to myself, self I bet Mr. CIS will help you build a coffe table out of those pallets in the back yard.





Then I remembered those glorious legs.  Score! they would be the legs to my table....I knew they were much to long for a coffee table besides I  had only picked up two being I could not get the other two unbolted from the bed.  :)

So I had hubby, Mr. DIY to cut the legs in half for me, this meant that all four legs would not match but that was OK by me. It would be fashionably eclectic.




I did some sanding with my new sander that hubby bought me for my projects. Oh so sweet, it makes the sanding so much easier.

Really, I think he felt bad for me seeing me always sanding by hand......he said baby.... there is a better way!


 



My awesome DIY partner proceeded to pull the pallet apart so I could nail the boards back together with out the gaps.

I took my sander to the pallet and took off the roughness.......

We came up with a game plan of how to attach those beautiful legs by screwing them on. I was so excited to see what it was going to look like that we put it together and set in up.



It was love at first site!  Isn't it just so warm and cozy...... I even love the rustic look it had going on before I took the paint brush to it.

I just let it set their for a few days while I propped my feet up and contemplated the colors.


I had an idea of what I wanted it to look like, that always means multiple colors and coats of paint to get the end result.  Heck, sometimes I change the color altogether if I dont like it. That is the beauty of PAINT.

As you can see below the legs did not end up this color I started with.




Well after a few hours OK maybe days I finished the top the way I wanted it.

Two blues and a green layered together and we have a table top.




Then I sanded and primed the legs since they were very shiny, I did not want my paint to start peeling off.  I finished the legs off with a two coats of white spray paint to give it a clean airy look.





I love the distressed look of furniture and with the rustic top it was a must have. So I took some sandpaper to the legs and gave them a good ole' light rub down where you wold normally see wear.










I chose to stain the sides of the table to warm it up a bit.

























































So there you have my free pallet coffee table. Thanks and hugs go out to my hunk-el barry for helping me complete this fun project.


Dont you just love creating something fun!  What do you think?  Have you created any coffe tables for your spaces?

Check out these 15+ BEAUTIFUL CHEAP DIY COFFEE TABLE IDEAS ON HOMESTHETICS WEBSITE 
http://homesthetics.net/15-beautiful-cheap-diy-coffee-table-ideas/



Until next time, 

Linking up to: Miss Mustard Seed.comMy 1929 CharmerDIY Show Offromantic home.blogspot.com

6 Thoughtful Comments:

gracie said...

Love, love, love it!!!! Ack, makes me want to build one even more! Love the color combo, very swoon worthy. I have a pile of pallets just dying to be turned into something!!!!

Diane said...

Lori, your photos of this project are fantaastic. They should be in a magazine! This pallet table looks great.

Laurel Stephens said...

Those legs were a steal! :) It's astonishing the good stuff people will throw out. When I made my craft table I found that legs were the most expensive part. It was cheaper to buy a thrift store desk and cut it in half for legs than to buy nothing-special wooden legs at a big box store. So, GOOD for you! SCORE!! It would have been a darn shame to have those in a landfill.

cathy@my1929charmer said...

Ok, seriously how cool is this. I have a pallet been sitting in my yard for over a year. Love those legs, too cool, I loved it unstained and both painted. Great either way. Thanks for sharing you creative inspiration at Sunday's Best Par.tay! PS - I will be featuring this on Saturday.

Virginia Maria de Jesus Fassarella said...

Oi, apesar de ser estrangeira, não resisti e tenho que comentar, ficou lindo! Parabéns.

Miss Charming said...

Oh, I love the finish on the table. Such great colors! Your coffee table looks wonderful and was made with all recycled pieces, too. You really did a nice job.

Photography

Shoot Fly Shoot