Pin It

February 3, 2012

My Repurposed Chair



I saw a ladder back chair driving by a house one day that was used as a planter, can you say, oh so cute. I was inspired!

So there I was on a mission to find an inexpensive ladder back chair so that I could use it to make a flower planter. I certainly was not going to spend much $$ on a chair since it was going to be left outside in the humid, south muggy weather getting, well ya know, all shabby. All the more charm right!

When I found some time to shop, my girlfriend, Kim and I headed over to my favorite thrift antique MALL The Depot, a thrifters dream. Check out my post on it Here.

Anywhoo, off we went, then towards the end of our trip with my dogs a barking I spotted the jewel, she was perfect! The chair was marked down to $6.00 (woot!) one of the back pieces were broken which made it perfect for a repurpose project.....
The Depot at Gibson Mill                         
         Here is the chair before the color it simple. Isn't she pretty........I almost hated to paint her but
pressed on.


If you look at this pic below you will see I have circled the part that was broken.  I ended up just breaking it off  and using something I had kept lying around for a rainy day.


The hardest part of a project for me is simply deciding what color to paint it.  Or what color glaze to add to it.  I mean we crafters have a plethora of choices when it comes to color and design.

OK, the hard part is done so I decided to use yellow and aqua some color samples I had on hand.

Sorry the picture below is blurry. I used my camera phone on all these shots so there ya have it! That's my excuse this time ;)

I decided not to take a lot of pains with this since like I said it would be out in the weather.  So I did not prime it.  I do my projects by trial and error.......that is my best teacher, well OK that and google.

When I put the yellow color over the wood finish I loved that the brown showed through in places especially when I did a light sanding to distress it. Perfect! Then I broke out the aqua color for the seat and two back rungs. Wowzers, it was a little bright so I needed to tone it down a bit.

I added a dry brushing of the yellow over it and she was good to go. 




Remember the broken piece on the back of the chair that I took out?  I had a metal scroll candle holder that the candle holder thingy had broken off.  I took that and added a small screw and wa-la! hung it in the center to give it a finished look.

I used a can of spray varnish and coated the chair to help protect it from the elements.


As you can see I just sat my flowers on the seat instead of cutting out the weave of the chair.  I always explain to my so talented hunk-el-barry (aka hubby) what my intentions are and he lets me know if it will work or not. He informed me that cutting it out the way I had envisioned would not work to say the least.

So now I have a much loved repurposed chair flower planter that adorns my front walkway.

Off to color another project simply

PS: Have you ever felt like you were talking to yourself? Well that's me (hand raised) I'm new to blogging in  blogland. So If you landed on my post be so kind as to follow me so we can become acquainted!

Till next time,
Photobucket
Linking up to:














Funky Junk's Saturday Nite Special
shabby creek cottage
Somewhat Simple
Chic on a Shoestring Decorating








The DIY Show Off




Sunday's Best Linky Party!

13 Thoughtful Comments:

thistlewoodfarm said...

I love your re-purposed chair! Perfect color choice!
blessings,
karianne

Linda @ it all started with paint said...

So very cute! Loving the colors ...

I'm now following you on Linky ...

Linda
itallstartedwithpaint@gmail.com
http://itallstartedwithpaint.com

Lori said...

Hi Linda! I appreciate you stopping by and sharing your sweet comment. I am so excited to have you has a follower, thank you. I am now following your blog as well. Come back and visit soon.

Eclectically Vintage said...

Fab colors - and a great $6 score!! While I often talk to myself (especially love singing while alone in my car), you are not alone! Following you on Linky!
Kelly

Lori said...

Thanks Kelly!! Don't you just love it when you find a great buy. So happy you joined me on the new linky. I will head over to Eclectically Vintage and link up as well.

Lori said...

Kari, thanks so much for commenting! It was a fun project, glad you like the colors!

farmhouse-story said...

i LOVE your chair! no one would know it was a $6.00 find:) great work, lori!

Candy said...

Great colors.....and I especially like the metal piece you added. Nice Touch. Im new to blogland.....only 14 days in, SO COME VISIT ME.

Lori said...

Candy, thanks so much for your encouraging comments. Happy that you stopped by. I am heading over for a visit.

Lori said...

;) Thanks Lynn

Cassidy said...

Oh my goodness totally loving the colors you painted that chair and the detail you added! Turned out awesome! I have only ever painted a chair black. I need more color! haha

http://fitcraftystylishandhappy.blogspot.com/

cathy@my1929charmer said...

Stopping by from DIYShowoff. I love your garden chair, it is so pretty. I sure like the iron piece you added for detail. The colors on the chair is so pretty - all this for $6, you lucky girl you. My fingers are crossed that you'll share at Sunday's Best party going on now.

cathy@my1929charmer said...

Wanted to say thanks for sharing Your Repurposed Chair project with us at Sunday's Best. So happy you joined us. Wishing we'll see you again next week.

Photography

Shoot Fly Shoot